Ray Wu Award was established by the society to honor the late Dr. Ray Wu, who not only had a distinguished scientific career but also nurtured a new generation of Chinese scientists in life sciences through his tireless effort in promoting scientific and educational exchanges between China and the United States. The Award recognizes CBIS members who have made fundamental discoveries in life sciences and/or significant contributions in promoting life sciences in China. The 2018 Ray Wu Award recipients are:
Dr. Zhijian ‘James’ Chen, Ph.D., Investigator of Howard Hughes Medical Institute, George MacGregor Distinguished Chair in Biomedical Sciences, Director of Center for Inflammation Research, Professor of Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, for his pioneer work in deciphering the mechanisms and pathways of cell signaling, inflammation, and innate immunity, and for his discovery of cGAS in attracting drug target for treating autoimmune diseases and implicated cGAMP as a potential immuno-therapeutic or vaccine adjuvant.
Dr. Xinnian Dong, Ph.D., HHMI investigator, Professor of Biology, Duke University, for her discovery of a new component of nuclear pore complex (NPC) uncovered immune-induced NPC permeabilization as a novel molecular mechanism behind programmed cell death in eukaryotic cells, and her pioneer work on the interplay between the circadian clock and the metabolic rhythm in the context of plant immunity.
CBIS/Science China – Life Sciences《中国科学-生命科学》Young Investigator Award recognizes CBIS members who are in the early career stages but have already made remarkable contributions in their respective fields. The 2018 awardees are:
Dr. Kun Zhang, PhD., Professor and chair of the Department of Bioengineering, University of California, San Diego, for his work in whole genome shotgun sequencing, single-cell sequencing methodologies for analyzing mammalian genomes, transcriptomes and chromatin accessibility, single-cell neuronal map of the human adult brain, development of targeted sequencing methods for human genome and methylome in stem cell and cancer research.
Dr. Zhihua Liu, Ph.D., Professor of the CAS Key Laboratory of Infection and Immunity Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, for her work in microbial derivatives that directly regulate intracellular membrane trafficking in the intestine and extra-intestinal organs, which may contribute to the broad physiological roles of microbiota, and the underlying molecular mechanisms for microbiota regulation to host physiology.
CBIS Teaching Award recognizes a CBIS member who has contributed extraordinarily to education in biomedical sciences, particularly in China. The 2018 awardee is:
Dr. Liqun Luo, Ph.D., Professor of Biology, Stanford University, and HHMI Investigator of Howard Hughes Medical Institute, for his contribution to neuroscience education in China.
Previous Award Recipients:
Ray Wu Award
Ray Wu Award
- Dr. Xiaoliang Sunney Xie, Harvard University and BIOPIC at Peking University (2016)
- Dr. Xiang-Dong Fu, University of California, San Diego (2016)
- Dr. Xiao-Fan Wang, Duke University (2013)
- Dr. Haifan Lin, Yale University (2013)
- Dr. Kun-Liang Guan, University of California, San Diego (2011)
- Dr. Yigong Shi, Tsinghua University (2011)
- Dr. Yi Zhang – Harvard Medical School (2009)
- Dr. Yang Shi – Harvard University (2009)
- Dr. Ling-ling Chen, Shanghai Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences (2016)
- Dr. Hai Qi, School of Medicine, Tsinghua University (2016)
- Dr. Yibin Kang, Princeton University (2013)
- Dr. Feng Shao, National Institute of Biological Sciences, Beijing (2013)
- Dr. Xinzhong Dong, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2011)
- Dr. X.Z. Shawn Xu – University of Michigan (2009)
- Dr. Chenjian Li, School of Life Sciences, Peking University (2016)
- Dr. Weimin Zhong, Yale University (2011)